Friday, September 19, 2008

"Mother of the Year"


This is an x-ray of Ian's hand. So here's the story:
I was putting clothes in the dryer when I heard CRASH, BOOM, BANG on the stairs. Then I heard Ian screaming. He had tried to pull his chair down the stairs to reach a dart and he and the chair came tumbling down. He said his hand hurt. I examined it and his hand seemed fine. He could move it and wiggle fingers and there was no bones sticking out or blood so I figured he just landed on it wrong. But he was inconsolable. I called Michael at work and we talked about taking him in. But then we remembered his last stair incident in August with his foot. We were convinced he had broken his foot and rushed him to Insta-Care to find out it was a slight sprain and he was fine ($200 later). So we both decided to wait and see, against my better judgement.
So I gave him Motrin, took the girls to school and hung out on the couch with him all day. When we came home from getting the girls at school he begged to play outside. I stayed out there with him and watched him play. He seemed fine but was still favoring his hand. Again after dinner, he begged to go play with his sisters. He still seemed fine so I let him. I guess he tried to get on the trampoline and leaned on his hand. Caely and Morgan brought him home, screaming. Michael and I looked at each other and him in the van. I took him to Insta-Care at 7:30 pm. They did x-rays and, sure enough, it's not only broken in one but two places! I felt like such a wonderful mother! I should have taken him in right then and there! But no! I let him suffer all day long, even let him go out and play with a broken wrist! So please nominate me for "Mother of the Year"!



17 comments:

Jaqui said...

Poor little guy! I'm sorry he broke it, but I'm glad I sent him home. He couldn't quite decide what he wanted to do. I kept saying, "Do you want to go home?", and he would shake his head no. So I got him some ice, and asked again. That time he said yes, but then went back outside. Finally I just told him to go home and have you look at it and maybe kiss it better. I guess it took more than a kiss. :(

Jaqui said...

But I thought he had pinched his fingers. I didn't know it was his wrist! So, so sad!

Jen said...

Oh man that stinks. Poor little guy. We haven't had any broken bones yet, that I know of, guess they could be living with some and I just don't know. With my kids I wouldn't be surprised if they had some, and with my husband I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't find out until years later. I felt like a horrible mom when we didn't take Seth in.

Emily K. said...

yeah, we did that to Caely, you never can tell when it's real or not. You did what you thought was best, and he won't remember that you waited. So sorry he got hurt.

Owen said...

I cannot cast a vote for you Amanda, as I myself have a good chance at "Mother of the Year" for lots of my own brilliant choices in the mothering department! 4 kids later, I have become a lot less quick to rush my kids to the Dr. anymore with the same "wait and see" attitude. Buy him a few extra treats and it'll be forgotten!

Anonymous said...

I nominate you! Being on the other end at the insta-care, I see a lot of the otherside...rushing in for everything. The "wait and see" strategy is not only appropriate but can save a LOT of money. I think you handled it perfectly!
The other nice thing is this type of break heals great! Still, it's always sad when it happens! Good luck...casts are fun! ;)

Crystal said...

Ohhhhh shoot! He looks so cute though! I am sorry!!! Atleast you didn't push on it and twist it like I did when Drew broke his leg! You are too funny! You would for sure win Mom of the year you did what any smart Mom would have done! and you are an awesome Mother! Who is Ian's fav?? No question you're the best!

The Unsworth Family said...

You can count on my vote, though I may not be far behind you. I hate that sometimes we make these decisions based on the potential hospital bill.

LORI said...

You got my vote too lady.. You got to admit though, he looks pretty darn cute with that cast on.

Kelli said...

Seriously, Amanda don't beat yourself up about it! It is really a tough call. When Em was five she fell off her bed and broke her arm. I did not realize it was broke and she spent the whole night with it broken until I wised up the next afternoon

heidivee said...

Oh man, Amanda...that totally sucks. (Pardon my language). You could not possibly win "Mother of the Year" with that one. You have to do something WAY worse. I would have totally waited. Insta-Care is not cheap. Anyway, he is the cutest little man with a cast that I've ever seen. SORRY he got hurt. Let me know if you need anything or need someone to watch the girls for the follow-up visits and cast removal!

Alissa said...

oh-- poor little guy! he looks very handsome with the cast, though! give him a hug for me!

McKay and Kallie said...

Look how proud he is of that cast! What a cute kid!

Sarah said...

Whatever...don't you remember when SD broke her wrist...I waited until we got back to CA for her to see a doctor. LOL!! Oh well, they always forgive us somehow, don't they? We need to get together again soon. The girls always ask when they can have a sleepover again...AND always ask for your girls to be safe and know that we love them when they are saying prayers.

Jennilynn said...

So sorry Amanda! What a bummer for Ian! At least summer is over and you don't have to explain why he can't go swimming. I agree with Heidi- NO WAY you could win mother of the year with that one! Let me know if you any help! :)

heather said...

That sucks, poor kid. I saw him with his cast and thought, man can that girl get a break already? My parents did that to me except instead of letting me play with my broken leg, she made me finish my chores which consisted of vacuuming the stairs in our house that consisted of 4 different sets of stairs before taking me to the hospital. I had a clean break. As you can imagine and see I have not let me mom live this down... so here's to hoping that Ian is a lot sweeter than I am. (He will be)

Mom and Sarah said...

Amanda...we've all been there. See you soon! Lisa